Deftones Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS

+20
Vezmus
Colorado Chevy Man
bᴏy
Guero
osama
schlueter
Snoogans
donk
Garrett
Saevio
Jesse
Ozzman
never
winterborne1
Cory
Robo-Pussy
Soylent Brown
uhoh
NOT MONGO
24 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 9 Empty Re: THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS

Post by Soylent Brown Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:36 am

I think I've seen a couple movies since I last posted, but none were probably as good as Catechism Cataclysm. Look for it online. It's pretty sweet.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue100/100THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 9 Empty Re: THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS

Post by NOT MONGO Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 am

i watched Fincher's version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I liked Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth much more than Rooney Mara and the praise for Mara's work baffles me. Fincher obviously made a "better-made" film than the Swedish original but he lacked Rapace, which hurts his version...

I saw "Martha Marcy May Marlene" which was a great first feature (that I know of) from the filmmaker. I really loved the shifting and segues between the past and present, it really added to the paranoia and delusions.. i recommend this movie and rate it a solid 7.8 out of 10. Olsen was pretty good in the movie and is obviously a better actress than her siblings..

I'm currently watching The Adventures of Tin Tin. it looks amazing and you can tell Spielberg had a heck of a time choreographing all the action sequences. Score is great again with longtime collaborator John Williams, reminiscing of their earlier collaborations.. This movie kind of jumps immediately into the world of Tin Tin and there is no slow buildup explaining Tin Tin history, just nods to his accomplishments through a couple comments from people on the sidewalk or plaques on a wall... Also there is no solid reason why Tin Tin risks so much for something he doesn't even understand. He does what he does just because he heard there was a "mystery cargo" on the Unicorn, that for all we know might not even be significant at all
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue100/100THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:16 am

I still think the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo it's a non-ironic misogynist film.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 am

the first book in the millenium trilogy was, after-all, called "men who hate women."

did i phrase this correct? my english sucks
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 pm

I mean the movie was misogynist, not necessarily any one character. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't done on purpose.

I watched Being Flynn today. I had originally opted out of seeing it because it looked pretentious from the trailer. After Chad saw it he suggested we go together so I could watch it and it was a great fucking call. What a shitty trailer and what a good story.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by bᴏy Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 am

winterborne1 wrote:By "female-dominated", I mean when the real acting is done by the females, and the men are basically only support devices, obstacles or goals for the women to achieve.

go on, go on....

I'm mere seconds away from "achieving"
bᴏy
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by Robo-Pussy Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:48 pm

I've decided I'm going to watch Sucker Punch. Emily browning dressed in a skimpy school girl outfit killing weird nazi things? Count me in!

Robo-Pussy
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Civilian
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 pm

The Raid Redemption is sooooo fucking good. goddamn. I think I might go watch that again later this week.
I saw that right before the Secret Film Festival. I was too tired so I didn't stayed for the last two movies (left at 8:00 am). We watched:

God Bless America
Penumbra
Juan of the Dead
Kill List

the ones we missed were:
Beyond the Black Rainbow / played during Juan
Comic Con...../ played during Penumbra
Sound of Noise (left early)
Goon (left early)

I really wanted to catch Goon but it would have played at 10:00 am and we had been watching movies since 9:30pm the night before.

I highly suggest going to see The Raid. It's really incredible.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:09 am

Yeah, I second that. The Raid: Redemption was definitely pretty awesome.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:49 pm

The Raid Redemption was the best 90 minute fight scene I've ever watched! So good!
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:28 am

fuck yeah! Did either of you read Ebert's review of the movie?
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robo-Pussy Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm

I saw the Cabin In the Woods today. I won't say anything about it so I don't ruin it for anyone. It was really good but not what I was expecting in the least. Totally worth the 9 dollar ticket and it now makes sense to me that it was written by the creator of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Robo-Pussy
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

ebert is so out of touch with what makes a movie good and what it aspires to do..
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:58 pm

I just read Ebert's review. Most of the things he complained about are reasons why I wanted to see the movie. His point about the word "Redemption" being in the title made me laugh though. He's absolutely right about it being completely unnecessary. There was no sort of redemption in the plot at all. The closest thing I could come to someone redeeming themselves is the gangster brother. But that's really stretching it.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say The Raid was a good film. It was certainly a good Martial Arts movie, but his low score of it is pretty consistent with his view on films without any plot at all.

Him not enjoying video games or any mindless entertainment is fine, as long as you understand that context when you read his reviews.

never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 pm

I disagree. It's silly to review a martial arts film based on dialogue or how it compares to movies of other genres, just like it'd be silly to rate a comedy on its choreography.
The Raid has GREAT choreography, camera work, and pretty amazing action sequences. He ignored all of that because there wasn't a plot to his liking. Martial arts films don't necessarily need plots or dialogue. Some have it, but it's the action sequences, how they're shot and choreographed that matter.
It should be judged within its own genre and in consideration of what makes a good film within that genre.

I don't think he has to enjoy it but for fuck's sake he reviews films professionally. It's surprising that he didn't recognize the talent that went into making it.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:42 am

Reviewing Genre films is certainly different than reviewing a film to discuss it's place in cinema history as a work of art. Which I think is more his focus.

If I wanted to know if something was a good genre film, I'd probably look to critics who focus more on that genre.

If I wanted to know how a movie stacked up against 2001, Casablanca, or Citizen Kane then I'd probably be interested in Ebert's opinion.

Him giving the movie a low rating because there's no plot and it's just one long fight scene, seems pretty fine to me. I can disagree with him, and be happy that I saw it because that one long fight scene was awesome.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 am

That sounds fair enough and I wont really argue with that.
But I still think he's got his head up his ass on this one. He was too "oh woe what has humanity come to"
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by bᴏy Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:17 am

bᴏy
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:46 am

completely agree with ale... you have to judge some films within their own context of what they are going for...

id like to see his review for gasper noe's "into the void" because that does not follow the typical film pedigree of three act structured plot either
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:47 pm

not sure why anyone would take any critic's opinion seriously, especially ebert's, considering he probably expects every gorey action/martial arts film to be just like tarantino's stuff.

i'm actually checking this movie out 'cause of regular people reviews. i seriously don't even bother with the likes of ebert or give his opinions any weight.

Limp Wristed Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:57 pm

♥ wrote:not sure why anyone would take any critic's opinion seriously, especially ebert's, considering he probably expects every gorey action/martial arts film to be just like tarantino's stuff.

i'm actually checking this movie out 'cause of regular people reviews. i seriously don't even bother with the likes of ebert or give his opinions any weight.
Yeah, I stick to reviewers with certain genre preferences and non-professional (ain'titcoolnews, imdb, etc). I don't tend to read Ebert's, but it was so damn silly that I had to comment on it, as others did too. It caused a mini-stir on the interwebs.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:29 pm

drew mcweeny aka moriarty from aintitcoolnews and now on hitfix is probably my favorite critic because we have very similar tastes and hes just an overall great critic/writer...

quint from aicn is another decent critic...

the one critic i cant stand is harry knowles because he only reviews how films affect him on a personal level. he explains his life story in every review and cannot write for the life of him. he supposedly took classes in college for journalism but i doubt he passed 6th grade english... dead serious. i get headaches trying to read what he writes.. also hate how he proclaims hes the biggest film geek and even his twitter handle is "HEADgeek666"

douche bag
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:35 am

Goon is fucking cool.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 pm

saw the avengers. probably the best marvel studios movie. loved the humor. hulk stole it... it was fun but it seemed like there were 3-4 MAJOR scenes or should i say sets... the scope was pretty small for what was supposed to be this epic movie...
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 am

Did the 3D aspect detract from it?
It tends to make me at least a little dizzy.

I saw A Day Without a Mexican. It blew. It was also for a class so I get to write a short paper on why I thought it was insulting.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I have days without Mexicans, I just have to shop at whole foods and Costco.

Any membership place.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu May 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Soylent Brown wrote: I get to write a short paper on why I thought it was insulting.
who is it insulting to? salvadoreans?

Limp Wristed Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu May 03, 2012 6:39 pm

The Writer wrote:I have days without Mexicans, I just have to shop at whole foods and Costco.

Any membership place.
lol

♥ wrote:
Soylent Brown wrote: I get to write a short paper on why I thought it was insulting.
who is it insulting to? salvadoreans?
Only by title. The movie actually sort of addresses that.

It frames the Latino population as a homogenous and unassimilable group with a blanket identity (even though it tries to address difference in ethnicity/national ties). The conclusion, where the Lila broad disappears after she claims her heart is Mexican is a kick to the face to many of the arguments in favor of the Dream Act. What about all the Latinos that disappeared whose hearts are american, or mexican-american, or in a completely different category? Why did they leave? Is there something so primal that regardless of where their hearts are they will always be mexican or Latino? Well, socially yes through their alien citizenship, and both perceived and self-ascribed otherness. But I doubt that's what they were going for.
I'm not particularly pro-assimilation but I understand the importance it plays in the national citizenship discourse and how there seems to be little hope for inclusion without it.

And while it kind of sort of hints to the contributions of Latino and immigrant labor it mostly focuses on flat characters. The actual impact of such a labor-drain is very superficial. Yeah, yeah mockumentary but it still sucks.

On a separate level it's fun to analyze what it does. It brings visibility to the invisible labor, social, and economic contributions by Latinos by literalizing their invisibility. That's pretty cool.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

ale, i didnt see it in 3d and i would recommend skipping it that format unless it was actually shot in 3d with stereoscopic cameras instead of being post-converted...
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:ale, i didnt see it in 3d and i would recommend skipping it that format unless it was actually shot in 3d with stereoscopic cameras instead of being post-converted...
Thanks, Mike!

I try to steer clear from 3D movies even if they were shot specifically for it.
It's a very unsavory thing for me.
I hope there are options around here for non 3D.

Have you ever watched a movie in D-Box?
I think that's the one where the seat jiggles. They have those in a theatre here. I haven't tried it and I'm not incredibly curious to.

Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 pm

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-amazing-spiderman-trailer/

even spiderman looks awesome... this is the greatest summer for movies ever!
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Fri May 04, 2012 1:09 am

Soylent Brown wrote:
I think that's the one where the seat jiggles. They have those in a theatre here. I haven't tried it and I'm not incredibly curious to.

You sure you're not curious? That really sounded like curiosity.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 am

I saw 21 Jump Street last night. It was hilarious. Totally would recommend it.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Fri May 04, 2012 2:26 am

winterborne1 wrote:
Soylent Brown wrote:

You sure you're not curious? That really sounded like curiosity.
I am curious but not enough to actually try it.
We watch most movies for free and D-Box is no extra charge.
So, I'm not curious enough to pretend it's not a silly concept
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Sat May 05, 2012 7:43 am

With the exception of the terrible casting of Robin from HIMYM and the opening scenes which were pretty cheesy, the entire rest of The Avengers movie was perfect.

The entire theater was roaring with laughter and enjoyment about every 10 minutes.

And the post credit scene was probably the best possible place they could have taken Avengers 2 towards. So happy with that.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Sun May 06, 2012 3:37 am

never wrote:With the exception of the terrible casting of Robin from HIMYM and the opening scenes which were pretty cheesy, the entire rest of The Avengers movie was perfect.

The entire theater was roaring with laughter and enjoyment about every 10 minutes.

And the post credit scene was probably the best possible place they could have taken Avengers 2 towards. So happy with that.

And the post credit post credit scene was hilarious.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Sun May 06, 2012 1:20 pm

*Avengers spoilers below*

Spoiler:
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Sun May 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Yeah, but with the exception of Under Siege, the best Avengers stories are the space ones.

But I get what you're saying.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu May 10, 2012 5:02 am

This looks awesome

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3141742/nin-fueled-extremely-gory-nsfw-trailer-for-excision/#more-3141742
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robo-Pussy Thu May 10, 2012 12:10 pm

I agree!

Robo-Pussy
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 am

jeff, avengers cannot battle the skrulls because fox owns (or "rents") the movie rights to them when they paid for the movie rights to the fantastic four and other marvel properties. thats why we saw that particular alien race in the avengers movie, which so happens to be the sole creation of joss whedon from one of his own comic book storylines...
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 am

i also thought that only the Super-skrull had the ability to shapeshift or had the powers and abilities of all the members of the fantastic four? do other skrulls have this ability too?
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Fri May 11, 2012 3:45 am

Get the Gringo was meh.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Sun May 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Looking forward to this one:
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Sun May 13, 2012 12:51 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:i also thought that only the Super-skrull had the ability to shapeshift or had the powers and abilities of all the members of the fantastic four? do other skrulls have this ability too?

The Super Skrull, "Ki'rt", you're speaking of is the only one with all the powers of the Fantastic Four. However, ALL Skrulls can shapeshift, some of them have powers and abilities, and there are also other Super Skrulls, too.

That sucks about Fox owning their rights, though.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Fri May 18, 2012 11:34 pm

im going to start a triple feature tonite:

shame, the social network, and then zodiac...

i need some recommendations to put in my netflix queue

also: i started watching the killing [AMC]- pretty good show but im tired of all the red herrings...
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 am

I watched The Avengers. I'd be surprised if I'm not the last one to have seen it but...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Soylent Brown on Wed May 23, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robo-Pussy Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 am

I still haven't seen it.

Robo-Pussy
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Wed May 23, 2012 3:47 pm

I might go see The Dictator tonight.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum