Deftones Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS

+20
Vezmus
Colorado Chevy Man
bᴏy
Guero
osama
schlueter
Snoogans
donk
Garrett
Saevio
Jesse
Ozzman
never
winterborne1
Cory
Robo-Pussy
Soylent Brown
uhoh
NOT MONGO
24 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 16 Empty Re: THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS

Post by NOT MONGO Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:24 am

edit: not even worth discussing. foot in mouth
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 16 Left_bar_bleue100/100THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 16 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 16 Empty Re: THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS

Post by winterborne1 Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Jesse wrote:
winterborne1 wrote:I want to see This Is 40 because I loved Knocked Up, and supposedly this is like a spinoff/sequel to that movie. I related especially to Knocked Up because I was an expecting father when the movie came out, but it was still a good movie regardless. This Is 40 could definitely suck and the trailer didn't make it seem like it was gonna blow anyone away, but I'm gonna give it a go anyway because Knocked Up was that good.

While the flick had a few good laughs i found the entire experience un-relatable and forgettable.

I dont want to see a movie about rich white people who aren't as rich as they were before trying to figure shit out.

I just saw it last night. It definitely had some really good laughs early on, and Paul Rudd is an underrated comedic actor, but the movie had a solid hour without any jokes that just got kind of depressing, and it made the movie start to really drag. It didn't really recover from it either. I'd say, overall, the movie was kind of a disappointment.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:
THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 16 Left_bar_bleue100/100THE MOVIE TOPIC TO END ALL OTHER MOVIE TOPICS - Page 16 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by never Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 pm

My favorite movie of the year was Argo. I don't think anything else even came close.

And I thought Casa De Mi Padre was probably the movie that surprised me the most. I had no expectations for that film and it was hilarious.

And if I was to pick one movie from this year that I'll end up re-watching the most, it would be Haywire.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:14 pm

i have to disagree on Argo. While it is Afleck's most polished film so far, I feel like the hype machine really fucked with the movie for me. It was very solid. I enjoyed it. The tension was good but not on Hurt Locker's level which my friend argued contrary because he cared more for the civilians in Argo rather than jeremy renner's wild semi-sociopathic William James character. thats another discussion. But anyway, the ending of Argo was good and it was put together well. I now fear angry mobs.

Id give Argo an 8.5/10
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 pm

I should have said, "anything else came close for me." I could certainly understand someone maybe not connecting with it.

But yeah, Hurt Locker was fantastic. And I don't think you can relate the two on tension, since a movie about someone disarming bombs might naturally hold more tension than a movie about people trying to escape a country. Just because the nature of something exploding is more intense than people walking around a city trying not to be noticed.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:54 pm

I really liked Argo, the tension was great, the comedic parts were smartly done, the acting was good and the sets seemed really authentic for its period. I feel like it deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, and maybe even the win. That said, I was never completely attached to the film. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I barely cared for it afterwards. I guess what I mean is, I'm not going to be rushing out to buy it (or illegally download it) when it comes out.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 pm

never wrote:I should have said, "anything else came close for me." I could certainly understand someone maybe not connecting with it.

But yeah, Hurt Locker was fantastic. And I don't think you can relate the two on tension, since a movie about someone disarming bombs might naturally hold more tension than a movie about people trying to escape a country. Just because the nature of something exploding is more intense than people walking around a city trying not to be noticed.

i dont know about that assessment.

getting spotted = death
bomb exploding = death
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:28 am

NOT MONGO wrote:Ale, it was just like blazing saddles. People were shocked and scared when they saw a "n***** on a horse." It was very funny but not obscene. Christoph waltz is the audiences surrogate in the movie as he is totally against slavery. They show how slaves were tortured. This is pretty much dr shultz's undoing... I wont say anymore.

While i was watching it i knew spike lees name would come up in the news because of his prior jackie brown comments and sure enough yesterday there is news that he is deeply offended. But hes wrong. While the movie depicts terrible realities of slavery, it is indifferent toward them. One would think this movie would be something that spike lee would champion, apike lees real issue seems to be that he feels that a white man is not privy to direct and write about such american history. Lee must feel that right is reserved to black folk. Thats backwards racism and another reason why spike lee lives in his own bubble. At least he has the knicks going for him...
The movie is indifferent to slavery? It would absolutely makes sense that people would be outraged when a white man makes a blockbuster movie that features the "terrible realities of slavery" but judgment is not passed (I would assume through tone and camera angle).

I've read about a couple high profile people that refuse to watch it or have seen it and are disgusted. But then I see something like this http://www.oprah.com/own-oprahs-next-chapter/Webisode-How-Making-Django-Unchained-Changed-Jamie-Foxx-Video
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:09 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:

getting spotted = death
bomb exploding = death

I can't speak for anyone but myself.

And in my mind, I can visualize what it means to have a bomb explode and the horrible things that result. And for that reason alone I found the moments in Hurt Locker way more intense.

I know the people in Argo aren't supposed to be caught, and the result would be death, but it's not the same level of tension as something exploding and ripping you to pieces.

But you were the one who made the claim that Argo didn't have the same level of tension. If that was the case, why did you feel that way?
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by never Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:16 pm

I take back what I said earlier.

I just saw Jack Reacher last night and that movie absolutely came close to Argo.

It's not as good a film as Argo, but it's the best Action movie I saw this year and it's the most fun I had watching a movie this year. It kind of goes back to the root of what made action movies good. It's simple and effective.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Didn't really like Jack Reacher. The main character struggled for approximately zero minutes of the movie. It was just Tom Cruise pwning everyone until the credits started rolling. On a related note, however, the auto parts store girl in that movie actually interviewed with me hoping to rent a room in my house. Now I don't think she needs it so much.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Soylent Brown wrote:
NOT MONGO wrote:Ale, it was just like blazing saddles. People were shocked and scared when they saw a "n***** on a horse." It was very funny but not obscene. Christoph waltz is the audiences surrogate in the movie as he is totally against slavery. They show how slaves were tortured. This is pretty much dr shultz's undoing... I wont say anymore.

While i was watching it i knew spike lees name would come up in the news because of his prior jackie brown comments and sure enough yesterday there is news that he is deeply offended. But hes wrong. While the movie depicts terrible realities of slavery, it is indifferent toward them. One would think this movie would be something that spike lee would champion, apike lees real issue seems to be that he feels that a white man is not privy to direct and write about such american history. Lee must feel that right is reserved to black folk. Thats backwards racism and another reason why spike lee lives in his own bubble. At least he has the knicks going for him...
The movie is indifferent to slavery? It would absolutely makes sense that people would be outraged when a white man makes a blockbuster movie that features the "terrible realities of slavery" but judgment is not passed (I would assume through tone and camera angle).

I've read about a couple high profile people that refuse to watch it or have seen it and are disgusted. But then I see something like this http://www.oprah.com/own-oprahs-next-chapter/Webisode-How-Making-Django-Unchained-Changed-Jamie-Foxx-Video

the movie doesnt support slavery at all. it makes a case for how vile it is.

why cant a white man make a movie about slavery? that is ridiculous lol. what about blazing saddles? a jew directed and wrote that movie which deals with racism way back when. So Spielberg, a jew, should have never directed The Color Purple? There are other movies I could name that deal with important topics involving people who have no history with the topic itself.

what do you mean the judgement is not passed? i explained that Christoph Waltz is the audience surrogate and he is totally against slavery.

django unchained does not celebrate slavery.

Last edited by NOT MONGO on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:28 pm

never wrote:
NOT MONGO wrote:

getting spotted = death
bomb exploding = death

I can't speak for anyone but myself.

And in my mind, I can visualize what it means to have a bomb explode and the horrible things that result. And for that reason alone I found the moments in Hurt Locker way more intense.

I know the people in Argo aren't supposed to be caught, and the result would be death, but it's not the same level of tension as something exploding and ripping you to pieces.

But you were the one who made the claim that Argo didn't have the same level of tension. If that was the case, why did you feel that way?

Im not really disagreeing with you. Im just saying Those people in Argo couldve been shot down instantly with all the firepower the military carried around the streets and airport. plus they could have been torn to shreds of a mob broke out... i know what you mean about how its different with a bomb because that is an instance of people getting blown to smithereens. my friend also thought you could sympathize and relate to the american civilians more than you could to the soldiers in the hurt locker, thus that is why the tension he felt in Argo was more than the hurt locker... I think Argo had tension but it wasnt that unbearable tension we got in the hurt locker.
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:30 pm

winterborne1 wrote:Didn't really like Jack Reacher. The main character struggled for approximately zero minutes of the movie. It was just Tom Cruise pwning everyone until the credits started rolling. On a related note, however, the auto parts store girl in that movie actually interviewed with me hoping to rent a room in my house. Now I don't think she needs it so much.

lol nice!
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:09 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:

why cant a white man make a movie about slavery? that is ridiculous lol. what about blazing saddles? a jew directed and wrote that movie which deals with racism way back when. So Spielberg, a jew, should have never directed The Color Purple? There are other movies I could name that deal with important topics involving people who have no history with the topic itself.

what do you mean the judgement is not passed? i explained that Christoph Waltz is the audience surrogate and he is totally against slavery.

I did not say a white man cannot make a movie about slavery. Where the hell did that ridiculous comment come from? I said I could see how some may be outraged if judgement is not passed. I assumed no judgement was the same or similar enough to indifference
NOT MONGO wrote:While the movie depicts terrible realities of slavery, it is indifferent toward them.
I have not seen it yet.

I will admit to missing this comment before initially replying

NOT MONGO wrote:Christoph waltz is the audiences surrogate in the movie as he is totally against slavery
Had I seen this one I probably would have said something different so I apologize but am still terribly confused about the white dude not being able to make movies about slavery...
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 pm

never wrote:I take back what I said earlier.

I just saw Jack Reacher last night and that movie absolutely came close to Argo.

It's not as good a film as Argo, but it's the best Action movie I saw this year and it's the most fun I had watching a movie this year. It kind of goes back to the root of what made action movies good. It's simple and effective.
Really?
I haven't seen it and might not get to but I want to. More so because I don't really see Cruise being very good in that role and I want to see what he does to fit it.

As far as best action movie, did you see Dredd or The Raid? What other action movies did you watch?
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:35 am

Soylent Brown wrote:
NOT MONGO wrote:

I did not say a white man cannot make a movie about slavery. Where the hell did that ridiculous comment come from? I said I could see how some may be outraged if judgement is not passed. I assumed no judgement was the same or similar enough to indifference
NOT MONGO wrote:While the movie depicts terrible realities of slavery, it is indifferent toward them.
I have not seen it yet.

I will admit to missing this comment before initially replying

NOT MONGO wrote:Christoph waltz is the audiences surrogate in the movie as he is totally against slavery
Had I seen this one I probably would have said something different so I apologize but am still terribly confused about the white dude not being able to make movies about slavery...

whoops. sorry i didnt realize u wee confused!
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Saw Django Unchained last night. I thought it was incredible. I had a whole ton of fun watching it, and I absolutely don't think it was promoting slavery in any way, and Quentin Tarantino made the movie in the way that he needed to make it. I loved Christoph Waltz's character, and Leo did a damn fine job as well. It was also my absolute favorite of all of Sam Jackson's performances. It was the first time in a long time I wasn't groaning at seeing Sam act like he usually does.

Now, all that being said, I'm going to attempt to play the devil's advocate here, and try to take a stab at why Spike Lee might be pissed. Remember, this isn't how I personally view the movie, and honestly I don't think Spike should be angry at all, as the movie definitely demonizes slavery (as it should), and as a work of art, it shouldn't be bound by political correctness anyway, otherwise why aren't we attacking the guys that made Hobo With A Shotgun, A Serbian Film, Human Centipede, etc.?

But trying to see things from an overly sensitive, black activist's point of view, I would presume the thing about this movie that got under his skin wasn't that it "promotes" slavery, but rather that a white guy is taking a very negative situation, and "having fun" with it. I could kind of see why that would bother him. The crowd may have a blast rooting for every slave owner to get shot in the face or physically terrorized, but I think Spike wants us all to remember that the slave trade wasn't fun and games, but rather a very dismal time that should be viewed upon with a profound sadness, and perhaps he thought this movie was Tarantino's (a white guy's) indirect way of saying, "Hey, it's all good right? We can have fun with this, and I'll give black people their retribution." That might have rubbed Spike the wrong way.

But once again, I truly believe Spike needs to calm down and understand that Tarantino isn't trying to be a hero to black people, he's just in the business of making fun movies, and he needs despicable villains to do just that. Tarantino has killed countless Nazi's with Jewish protagonists, killed plenty of men with female protagonists, and now it's time to kill slave owners with black people. He'll have another retribution story after the Django series is finished. It's his business and his art, and if he wasn't doing what he does, he wouldn't be considered one of the best directors out there.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:49 pm

That makes a lot of sense. And I'm very glad you included A Serbian Film. I love that movie and people would understand that it is art and good art at that.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:01 pm

i liked a serbian film. sure pedophilia is fucked but it definitely challenged what you can do on film.

about django, spike lee is just straight up mad he hasnt made a great movie since the 25th hour/inside man. his issues are always race related and it gets really old. im not saying racism doesnt exist, but we have definitely come a long way.
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 pm

There's a small thread about Django on the feminist people of color forum on Reddit, where someone said this:

"I have to say, it's probably one of the most disturbingly honest movies about slavery I'd seen in a bit. As soon as I saw the neck and headgear on slaves, which in hindsight I realized I knew quite a lot about but had never once seen in a movie in my life, I realized Quentin Tarantino was doing something that Hollywood would never let a black man get away with -- showing how fucked up slavery got as opposed to showing how fucked up slavery was in theory.

Another weakness the story has is that it lacks a diversity of black voices. It's not really about black people so much as it is about a black man and his relationship with white people. "

I really like this quote and I'm excited to see the movie. Before I started looking it seemed like there were more people angry about it than not. Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places. I really enjoy some of the discourse it's bringing about but with it didn't get stuck on the "BUT HE'S WHITE!" train.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robo-Pussy Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:13 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:i liked a serbian film. sure pedophilia is fucked but it definitely challenged what you can do on film.

about django, spike lee is just straight up mad he hasnt made a great movie since the 25th hour/inside man. his issues are always race related and it gets really old. im not saying racism doesnt exist, but we have definitely come a long way.

Inside Man is terrible. I couldn't even finish that movie. Horrible.

Robo-Pussy
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Civilian
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:01 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:about django, spike lee is just straight up mad he hasnt made a great movie since the 25th hour/inside man. his issues are always race related and it gets really old. im not saying racism doesnt exist, but we have definitely come a long way.
Well of course his issues are always race related. He's pretty much one of the leading voices of the black community on the subject of racism. It's a sizable part of how he's made his fame, and he's gained a lot of respect from his peers because of it. You seriously gonna fault a guy for doing what is expected of him? The only reason we even heard his opinion about Django is because someone else gave him the avenue to voice it. And he was given that opportunity because Django revolves itself around a subject in which Spike Lee is considered by many to be an expert. You and I may not agree with what he said, but can you really be surprised that someone who is a powerful voice of racism awareness commented on a movie about racism, and the comment itself turned out to be race-related?
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:15 pm

I stopped reading halfway through but i will say that spike lee shouldnt be the designated "go to guy" on everything race related. He jumps the gun like 75% of the time.

Im glad he is distinguishing himself from most racial powered movies. He is a great talent but he often alienates groups of people... Im glad a white director took on the ugliness of slavery while also having revenge driven fun.
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:28 am

NOT MONGO wrote:I stopped reading halfway through but i will say that spike lee shouldnt be the designated "go to guy" on everything race related. He jumps the gun like 75% of the time.

Im glad he is distinguishing himself from most racial powered movies. He is a great talent but he often alienates groups of people... Im glad a white director took on the ugliness of slavery while also having revenge driven fun.
Why didn't you finish reading? It's a very good response to a comment you made. Seriously, why would you reply without reading it? It's not even very long or difficult to understand.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 am

Soylent Brown wrote:
NOT MONGO wrote:I stopped reading halfway through but i will say that spike lee shouldnt be the designated "go to guy" on everything race related. He jumps the gun like 75% of the time.

Why didn't you finish reading? It's a very good response to a comment you made. Seriously, why would you reply without reading it? It's not even very long or difficult to understand.

i was kidding. kind of like how you half read what i wrote?
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:14 am

spike lee is an expert on slavery... because he is a filmmaker, whom is black, and is a very vocal person. how do you know he has read up on everything involving slavery? or do you just assume he does because he is black and is very vocal about race issues?

is ann coulter an expert on republicans?
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:16 am

(/very tongue in cheek)
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:09 am

Never said he was an expert on slavery, but he definitely is a prominent figure on the subject of racism against blacks. I don't think I really need to back that up. I actually never said he was an expert of anything, but I did say that he is "considered by many to be an expert". I know you said you didn't actually read my comment, but if you had, maybe you wouldn't have made that misinterpretation.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm

I saw Django last night and I enjoyed watching it but it is not at all without room for critique. Chad and I like to discuss movies right after we see them. He immediately thought it was a lot more problematic than I did and said he sided with Spike Lee, assuming he had access to a script or other. I, on the other hand, thought that while it was problematic it had some note worthy moments. That changed.
I'm very very long winded. I might synthesize this a little later.
Spoiler:
NOT MONGO wrote:
i was kidding. kind of like how you half read what i wrote?
I get it, you were being cheeky. However I didn't intentionally half-read what you wrote. I probably missed the meaning of what you wrote.

Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:00 pm

This is an awesome conversation about Django. I like how their readings about the movie are so different from my own. You could definitely disagree and make arguments against their points but they're worthwhile thinking about.

http://thefeministwire.com/2012/12/django-unchained-a-critical-conversation-between-two-friends/
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:56 pm

Wow. There is so much i want to say but i dont have the tine right now.... I think You missed the mark on qt's cameo. He was supposed to have a bad accent. Read the script, it might still be on imdb. He makes direct references to other movies in it. Its also part of the humor to have him in it. I mean, he got blown up! And ur saying something like "tarantino is so bad in the movies he cameos in." Im pretty sure thats what ypu mean right? Why else have a problem with a director having a bit part in his own film if its because he is a bad actor? His movies have always been about the writing more than anything else...

Also, when shultz shot that farmer in front of his son. That farmer was a wanted man for doing bad things. How does that compare to innocent people being enslaved for terrible reasons and having sympathy for them?

Ill agree on some of the tonal shifts. Ill even say that the absence of menke hurts some of the odd transitions in the edits which hurts the flow of the movie, especially when they get to candieland.
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Soylent Brown wrote:
never wrote:I take back what I said earlier.

Really?
I haven't seen it and might not get to but I want to. More so because I don't really see Cruise being very good in that role and I want to see what he does to fit it.

As far as best action movie, did you see Dredd or The Raid? What other action movies did you watch?

Have not seen Dredd yet, planned to watch it when it comes out on dvd. I thought the Raid was great. This was better than the Raid. It was better than Batman. It was better than the Avengers. It was a better action movie than Haywire, but Haywire was a more interesting film. It was a better than Skyfall. It was better than Looper. It was better than Bourne. It was better than Lockout. I probably saw more action movies, but those are the big ones I remember off the top of my head.

But again, this definition of better is my definition. I don't know what your definition of a good action movie is. To me Jack Reacher channels all the old action flicks. Like the die hards, or the old arnold movies. It's not about an underdog, it's about a complete fucking bad ass who is always one step ahead of everyone, even the bad guys. His character is witty, funny, dangerous, and brutal. The bad guys are scary, but you're not overloaded with information about them, because they don't matter. You know the good guy is going to win.

I loved every minute of the movie. And you mention Raid, which I think compares very favorably. Raid wasn't about plot, it was about a crazy situation and awesome action scenes. Jack Reacher has a plot and it's interesting, but it's still a surface level thing and you're mostly just in the seat to watch Tom Cruise be a total bad ass.

I don't understand about thinking Tom Cruise wouldn't be good for that role. He made a career out of being a bad ass in movies. It's pretty much the ONLY role he plays well.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robo-Pussy Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 pm

I saw Reacher today. It's an old person movie. You can tell it's adapted from one of those corny Dean Koontzish style mystery/thrillers. It's really good for what it is. Never pretty much described it perfectly.

Robo-Pussy
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Civilian
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:Wow. There is so much i want to say but i dont have the tine right now.... I think You missed the mark on qt's cameo. He was supposed to have a bad accent. Read the script, it might still be on imdb. He makes direct references to other movies in it. Its also part of the humor to have him in it. I mean, he got blown up! And ur saying something like "tarantino is so bad in the movies he cameos in." Im pretty sure thats what ypu mean right? Why else have a problem with a director having a bit part in his own film if its because he is a bad actor? His movies have always been about the writing more than anything else...

Also, when shultz shot that farmer in front of his son. That farmer was a wanted man for doing bad things. How does that compare to innocent people being enslaved for terrible reasons and having sympathy for them?

Ill agree on some of the tonal shifts. Ill even say that the absence of menke hurts some of the odd transitions in the edits which hurts the flow of the movie, especially when they get to candieland.
That's ok, I don't really expect anyone to read it or reply to it. I was mostly just spewing out my thoughts. I was bored at work. As far as his cameo, I know he's supposed to have a bad accent and be goofy, I don't need to read the script to know that nor should I have to in order to enjoy a movie. It should stand alone. Yes I mean he is a terrible actor and his cameos tend to be dumber than they are funny.

I do not necessarily mean he should have felt terrible about shooting the wanted man, but he showed no concern for the child who saw his father die. In this circumstance Django was a higher moral authority given that one of the doctor's reasons for shooting was the major loot they'd haul away with, not just that he's a wanted man. It compares because when Django allowed the slave to die because of the loot he would potentially haul away with, his wife, and the doctor becomes the higher moral authority. Django has become morally corrupt in order to save his wife. Their roles reversed. Even though circumstances are different. Django did not personally murder the slave, he allowed him to die, whereas the doctor personally shot the father before his son. And if I want to play devil's advocate, the slave is not completely innocent. He killed three fellow slaves before deciding to run-away. I don't honestly believe this makes him a bad person, nor did he deserve to die. But there's that.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:36 pm

I read it and enjoyed reading it. It really got me thinking a lot about some of the details from Django Unchained. I'll be able to respond meaningfully when it's like...not New Year's Eve.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:07 am

never wrote:
Have not seen Dredd yet, planned to watch it when it comes out on dvd. I thought the Raid was great. This was better than the Raid. It was better than Batman. It was better than the Avengers. It was a better action movie than Haywire, but Haywire was a more interesting film. It was a better than Skyfall. It was better than Looper. It was better than Bourne. It was better than Lockout. I probably saw more action movies, but those are the big ones I remember off the top of my head.

But again, this definition of better is my definition. I don't know what your definition of a good action movie is. To me Jack Reacher channels all the old action flicks. Like the die hards, or the old arnold movies. It's not about an underdog, it's about a complete fucking bad ass who is always one step ahead of everyone, even the bad guys. His character is witty, funny, dangerous, and brutal. The bad guys are scary, but you're not overloaded with information about them, because they don't matter. You know the good guy is going to win.

I loved every minute of the movie. And you mention Raid, which I think compares very favorably. Raid wasn't about plot, it was about a crazy situation and awesome action scenes. Jack Reacher has a plot and it's interesting, but it's still a surface level thing and you're mostly just in the seat to watch Tom Cruise be a total bad ass.

I don't understand about thinking Tom Cruise wouldn't be good for that role. He made a career out of being a bad ass in movies. It's pretty much the ONLY role he plays well.
I really like what you said, that bolded part. This is definitely the case. Action movies, and especially martial arts movies, don't really need a good plot. I like that depending on the genre of the film they're trying to achieve different things and what may be absolutely pivotal for one movie may be completely inconsequential to another. That's awesome, but it also makes it difficult for me to compare movies when they focus on different things. What I like about that is that depending on what aspect we enjoy the most will allow us to have different favorite movies, etc. I'm not sure why I'm typing this. I must be in a talkative mood!
I think that The Raid: Redemption actually had a decent plot to move the story ahead. It was minimal, but it was good. The acting was also not bad and considering how incredible the choreography and cinematography are the decent acting and ok plot was a huge plus for me.

I didn't see Haywire but I think I'd like to. I've heard both positive and negative things, but I'm mostly interested in seeing a bad-ass woman kick butt.

I know, I feel silly saying that I don't think he's a good action star when that's pretty much all he does and is known for. I don't really see him as a badass. Maybe it's his face that doesn't convince me and his mannerism seem so boyishly charming. I gotta watch it and see if I'm talking out of my ass or not.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:11 am

winterborne1 wrote:I read it and enjoyed reading it. It really got me thinking a lot about some of the details from Django Unchained. I'll be able to respond meaningfully when it's like...not New Year's Eve.
I've been having such a hard time getting back into reading and I'm not sure a script would get me back into it. It would probably be good in order to get a better understanding of the character and the intention behind some of the scenes but I really don't want to have to do that. A movie says something regardless of the script and I like that. I do understand that the script may add another layer of comprehension but I think a script and a movie are different mediums. They absolutely complement one another but they are also separate entities.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:08 am

We downloaded John Dies at the End. It wasn't bad. I like how cruddy but cool the effects were. I think I may have missed some of what happened since I had a hard time telling exactly what the characters were saying. I think I may have a slight comprehension problem?
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:02 am

Soylent Brown wrote:
I didn't see Haywire but I think I'd like to. I've heard both positive and negative things, but I'm mostly interested in seeing a bad-ass woman kick butt.

I gush pretty heavily over Haywire. But it's definitely not a movie for everyone. For an action movie it's incredibly slow. I chalk that up to Soderbergh just wanting to do something different. But when it does have action scenes they are fantastic. And Gina Carano, while not the best actress, is a total bad ass in the movie.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:38 am

Watched Mientras Duermes (Sleep Tight). What a fucked up movie. Very good.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:03 pm

I saw Django. I liked it, but it was long, almost 3 hours. I felt like it dragged in a few places.

I enjoyed the splashing of blood on random white objects. I thought that was amusing.

I know some of the critics thought the way in which they approached Candie to make a deal was dumb, but I thought the movie explained why they did it that way. So I wasn't sure why people were so confused about that. Although I might be biased, because I read Tarantino's interview before hand about it.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoogans Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm

I'd like to watch Looper, but my broke ass can't find any avi/mp4 torrents, just whatever a shitty mkv file is. Tried downloading a converter, but that shit didn't work for me. So, I came in here to tell you about how I'm sad that I can't watch a movie.
Snoogans
Snoogans
Titties and Weed

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Unidentified
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:13 pm

VLC Player should play most mkv files. And it's also the best freeware video player, so you should have it anyway.
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoogans Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 pm

I wanted to burn it and watch it at with my friends at their house. The stupid mkv file will play on my laptop, but that is not what I want. Mkv files can suck a dick!
Snoogans
Snoogans
Titties and Weed

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by never Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Snoogans wrote:Mkv files can suck a dick!

haha agreed!
never
never
Bicurous

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Snoogans wrote:I'd like to watch Looper, but my broke ass can't find any avi/mp4 torrents, just whatever a shitty mkv file is. Tried downloading a converter, but that shit didn't work for me. So, I came in here to tell you about how I'm sad that I can't watch a movie.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7915430/Looper_(2012)_1080p_BrRip_x264_-_YIFY

I watch my torrented movies with Apple TV, which plays only MP4 files imported into iTunes. That said, if I really care about getting the smoothest picture and fullest sound, I'll download the MKV file instead of the MP4 file, and then manually convert the MKV file to an Apple TV-optimized MP4 with HandBrake. HandBrake will optimize for various viewing methods. Transcoding process takes about 8 hours, but the end result is better than the MP4 files that you usually get just from torrenting. I'll only do this if I plan on keeping the movie awhile. If it's a movie I just want to lazily watch and then dispose, I'll just download the MP4 someone else created.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoogans Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 pm

winterborne1 wrote:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7915430/Looper_(2012)_1080p_BrRip_x264_-_YIFY

I could totally make out with you right now.
Snoogans
Snoogans
Titties and Weed

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Put your tongue on the screen, I'll meet you the rest of the way.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Just saw End of Watch. First movie that was good enough in content to make up for the fact that it's another fucking found footage film, which nobody warned me about. Guess I'm glad nobody warned me, because the movie was awesome. But still, this found footage trend is worse than reality TV.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next