Deftones Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The second Holocaust?

5 posters

Go down

The second Holocaust? Empty The second Holocaust?

Post by  Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:25 am

Interesting documentary. Thoughts, comments?

www.180movie.com
†
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

The second Holocaust? Empty Re: The second Holocaust?

Post by Soylent Brown Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:52 pm

I watched a couple minutes of that and was very bored so I probably didn't get the point of that.

This is a cool movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1063669/
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
The second Holocaust? Left_bar_bleue100/100The second Holocaust? Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by  Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Yeah, it will definitely take more than a couple of minutes if you'd like to know the overall message of the documentary.

The Wave sounds interesting. Might have to check that one out.
†
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:07 am

The second Holocaust? Cell-life
†
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 am

The second Holocaust? Thumbnail
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
The second Holocaust? Left_bar_bleue100/100The second Holocaust? Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm probably one of the least pro-choice of all the people I hang around (losing a child you really wanted will do that to you), but I think that argument comparing a single cell in another world to a single cell in a woman's womb is one of the dumbest pro-life arguments I've ever heard. The ENTIRE BODY is made up of living cells. On top of the 10 trillion human cells we carry around, we also carry around 100 trillion bacterial organisms, all of which, if a single one were found on a distant planet, scientists would confirm the presence of life on that planet. So if we're out to protect a single human cell of an unborn fetus because astrobiologists would call it "life", then we should do the exact same thing and protect the lives of every bacteria we come across. Basically, with the logic proposed in that picture, we should probably stop washing our hands, cooking our food, taking antibiotics, etc. We're killing "life".

That said, my personal belief is that abortion should only be allowed in extreme cases (such as rape, potential death of the mother, etc.) and not as liberally as giving it away to any mother who doesn't feel like she should take responsibility for her irresponsibility.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

The real argument is in the video my friend, not the picture.
†
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:22 pm

So why did you post the picture?
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Because the picture makes a pro-life statement, just like the video does.
†
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes, the picture does make a pro-life statement...one that reflects badly on the pro-life perspective. So you posted it simply because it's pro-life, not caring whether or not it actually provides a solid point?
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by  Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm

But the picture makes a true statement. If scientists found a single living cell on another planet they would claim they found life. But we know there are many cells in the womb of a pregnant woman. So why do people not consider a baby in the womb human life?
†
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:12 pm

The key word is "human". If that same exact cell that was found in the mother's womb was instead found on a distant planet, it wouldn't be certain that scientists would call it "human life". It would have to develop first before it is consensus human life. However, it they were to somehow find out that it is indeed an embryonic cell matching that of the human embryo, I would bet it would throw scientists into a frenzy, trying to figure out how the fuck that cell ended up there, and if there is/was a civilization of human beings on that planet.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 pm

As someone who is a little bit more pro-life than pro-choice, I feel that the best argument in the pro-life perspective is the controversy itself. If SOME people feel empathy toward an undeveloped fetus, then that should be enough to warrant criticism about the abortion option. The way I see it, a single fertilized egg IS life, and so is every cell and bacteria in the human body. The issue isn't whether or not it is life, the issue is whether or not that particular life is significant enough to warrant human empathy. And the thing that's lost in all the controversy is that empathy toward fetuses isn't really much different than empathy toward gay people, animals, women living in the middle east, people looking to be euthanized, etc. There is a lot of suffering in the world, and we can only pick and choose with whom we empathize. I'm mostly pro-life because not because I don't feel that women should be able to choose what to do with their bodies, I'm pro-life because I feel that the government shouldn't be reinforcing a woman's/couple's irresponsibility. When a woman opts to get an abortion after conceiving on her own accord, she is violating those that empathize with baby fetuses, who in turn, feel that the baby itself is being violated. And for what? So she can get an orgasm?

Like I mentioned before, I believe abortion should be an option under extreme circumstances, such as violent rape and maternal death. But at some point, couples need to take responsibility for their mistakes, and grow up. I think people often underestimate themselves. They fear adulthood so much, they don't realize just how good they can be as parents, and how rewarding it can be when you do see your child grow up to be remarkable human beings.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:55 am

bullshit.

my liver is alive, but lets see it try to survive on it's own.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 am

My lifestyle choices would tell you that I don't much empathize with my liver.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 pm

The Writer wrote:bullshit.

my liver is alive, but lets see it try to survive on it's own.
I got five bucks saying it grows legs and crawls toward the nearest winery.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum