Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Post by never on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:32 pm

I'll need to rewatch it.

Did they have an interaction in the film between her seeing Bruce and him seeing the Bat?
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 pm

It's obvious Talia didn't tell Bane about Bruce because she wanted to bone Bruce one last time. And who knows, maybe they did fuck one last time.

Use common sense people.
RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver
Gay For Pay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48 am

RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver wrote:It's obvious Talia didn't tell Bane about Bruce because she wanted to bone Bruce one last time. And who knows, maybe they did fuck one last time.

Use common sense people.

I'm going with that theory. Getting boned is just as important as destroying Gotham, if not more so.
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by osama on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 am

osama
Limp Wristed Nancy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:38 am

A lot of the stuff he says in that review doesn't even make sense and it would seem like he didn't actually put much thought into why some of the things he is making fun of, might have been portrayed the way they were.

After rewatching Batman Begins and Dark Knight, I feel pretty confident saying Dark Knight Rises is the best of the three. Simply for the fact that it had the least amount of Batman in it. Christian Bale's Batman is just not good. He's far more interesting as Bruce Wayne and the tough guy voice is straight up horrible. And both versions of Rachel Dawes were way worse than anyone in Dark Knight Rises.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoogans on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:52 am

Richard Alpert got off the Island and became the mayor of Gotham, only to be killed by an explosion. So sad. Crying or Very sad
Snoogans
Titties and Weed

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Unidentified
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 pm

hahaha
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 pm

while i think the jewel of the trilogy is heath ledger, dark knight rises is still a good film with comic book logic problems. on the flipside of that is the fact that the dark knight is more of a crime thriller.

i knew dark knight rises was going to have a more comic book feel as soon as i heard wally pfister discuss how him and nolan had a difference in opinion of what was the better film- begins or tdk. i knew wally doesnt like superhero movies in general, so i have a gut feeling nolan preferred the overall tone of begins... plus nolan loves cross cutting on a timeline..
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Heath Ledger is certainly the best part of the series, but the Dark Knight as a movie is pretty horrible. He carried that entire film by himself.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:34 pm

i disagree. the emotional weight and horror of harvey dents crimes, the music at the end, the two boats, what an epic conclusion to a movie.

"watch the world burn" is probably still the best piece of music in the whole trilogy
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 pm

The horror of his crimes are totally overstated. He was never a good dude. He was just a douchey lawyer who the public wanted to see as a good dude. And the fact that before he even went crazy he was going to torture that one mentally retarded guy, totally derailed my ability to actually take him seriously as the white knight of gotham. That was simple a title that Bruce wanted him to have so he could stop being Batman, because he was feeling super emo over Rachel. Something they carried over into the beginning of Rises and I wish they hadn't.

The Boat scene was good.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

when harvey dent puts the gun at his own head and flips the coin, has more resonance than anything in dkr i think... dkr is your typical save the world movie, tdk is about stopping it before it gets any worse...
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:39 pm

The fact that Dark Knight Rises didn't have Rachel Dawes in it, already puts it above any of the other films.

Combined with the fact that it completely mirrors the first movie, which is the other good film in the trilogy and comes full circle with a lot of the themes introduced in Batman Begins, also makes it awesome.

And Harvey Dent puts the coin to his own head and wins the flip. But the flip doesn't matter, because sometimes he flips it twice just for fun. It's meaningless.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:40 pm

but that scene was important (with the schizophrenic)... he had a double headed coin. he was never going to hurt that mentally ill fella. he felt hopeless and was angry at what had become of crime in gotham. i didnt think it was douchey.
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:41 pm

when does he flip it twice? are you referring to the limo scene?
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:42 pm

while i think they couldve cast rachel better from the get go. she definitely was very instrumental in the series when it comes to the morality of what bruce is doing.
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

She was instrumental. But they cast a terrible actress to play her. Then they cast a good actress to play her and she was even worse than Katie Holmes.

Yes the Limo Scene.

I got the impression that if Batman didn't stop him he was going to hurt the mentally ill dude. He was already breaking at that point in the movie, because he wasn't a pure dude. He was already on a path to be the bad guy.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:46 pm

if youre going to talk about pacing in tdk, you are completely oblivious to the pacing problems in tdkr lol...
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 pm

the limo scene i can forgive because he killed the driver and it was kind of a twist that we expected him to be doing it for maroni...

i doubt he was going to hurt the mentally ill dude. but thats all opinion... whats the difference between what he was doing and what batman did to maroni? thats your problem?
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:49 pm

I didn't say anything about TDKR's pacing. lol.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:50 pm

im watching tdkr right now and it starts up incredibly and then slows down drastically, then starts picking up when batman gets into gear and then it crawls when bruce is in prison... its like batman coming back is a fake out false start and totally fucks with the energy of the film..
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 pm

oh well i just assumed you didnt have a problem with the pacing of tdkr since u didnt mention it, but you mentioned tdk's
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:53 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:
i doubt he was going to hurt the mentally ill dude. but thats all opinion... whats the difference between what he was doing and what batman did to maroni? thats your problem?

I don't have a problem. Your opinion that it's some huge tragedy for Harvey Dent to fall is contingent on the point that he actually was the White Knight of Gotham. I don't think that was the case, and I think Nolan actually went out of his way to show that to you. The Joker was able to break him, because he was already broken. The actual tragedy of that situation was that Gordon had to lie, because Gordon is far more of the White Knight of Gotham than Harvey Dent ever was.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:54 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:oh well i just assumed you didnt have a problem with the pacing of tdkr since u didnt mention it, but you mentioned tdk's

I thought the Cave Prison went on a few minutes too long and the time jump was a little jarring.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:58 pm

i can get behind that gordon is the true white night... but i still think harvey was a good person who stood up to the filth.. he had noble intentions
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Lol@2 nerds arguing about this movie. Wait till my friends see this! Heehee

Brb, going to eat a steak dinner...
Gay For Pay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:44 pm

lol @ fake name on a forum that accumulates like zero traffic...
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Lol@the accumulation thats about to come. Theres a storm coming!

Come hither!

Gay For Pay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:09 pm

NBD, just talking to Drew McWeeny on twitter about problems with TDKR
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:30 am

I don't think Two-Face ever flipped the coin twice just for fun. When he was still just Harvey Dent, he did it once as part of his interrogation process, but that was when both sides of the coin were identical, so it didn't matter either way. In the limo scene, he flipped it once for each of the other guys in the car.

I have TDK and TDKR almost at an exact tie in my book. I definitely felt the pressure in TDKR more, but I loved the crime drama feel of TDK as well. They both seemed to be two distinct genres of film. To me, it's like arguing Alien against Aliens. Same universe, one is a sequel to the other, but the approach was completely different and each one acheived their own goal brilliantly.

I thought TDKR had trouble keeping things chronological, and the passing of time was a little confusing, with so much being squeezed into a 3 hour package. Nolan had a big story to tell, but perhaps there could have been more clues to clarify just how much time has passed while Bruce was imprisoned.

As for TDK, I thought everything was a little more straightforward, although Harvey Two-Face was a pretty weak villain. He was one guy holding up a commissioner's family at gunpoint and then died without a fight. That scene felt rushed, especially considering how integral that scene was to the rest of the trilogy. That scene set the entire tone for TDKR, however it was one of the most forgettable scenes in TDK. It seems Two-Face's kryptonite in every Batman movie is the fact that he has to try to catch the coin after he flips it, and Batman will always be there to dropkick him when he tries.
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:50 am

IMO (I feel like I have to specify since a lot of you dudes really liked it) it was a terrible movie.

The prison thing was stupid as shit. All of it. I also have the questions of "how did he get back to Gotham without anyone knowing?" and it annoys me. Rather than just chaulk it up to "you figure it out/he had the money and connections to do it/it's not important" I consider it a weakness and just bad story telling.
The first car chase scene, in the motorcycles was pretty awesome, but the ending one in the tank things sucked balls.
Cat woman's role was useless. I wanted her to be cool. She blew up a tunnel, cool. Batman could have done that in a second. Oh look she shot Bane in the face. WTF happened to him afterward. Did he die? was he locked up? He was the main baddie but was completely unresolved. And I could hardly understand anything he said.
Hate Batman's mouth. I wish he would close it and not wiggle his tongue so much. Yeah, I'm nit picking. Still can't get over his stupid voice. Why was there music through out the entire movie? It was so inappropriate. Made it seem like someone awesome was about to happen or should have happened, when only minor things did. Like Catwoman taking an apple.
Overall, probably my largest complaint was the absence of the passage of time. Suddenly it's two months later, then a few minutes before the bomb goes off. Also a problem given that HE BROKE HIS FUCKING BACK and then a couple scenes later, with seemingly no time gone by he's back on his toes again.
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:01 am

I think ive said pretty much all i can say about tdkr.

But as for bane: hated how they changed his voice and even the phrasing of some of his lines in the prologue, made it sound like he was talking through an air phone.

As for the rest of the movie, i could understand him perfectly except for one line when bruce is laying in prison and bane had just said some things about how hope makes despair even worse. Then he says something about how men have struggled to escape the pit and something about the ocean (yes i know wtf exactly)...

His monologue during the first fist fight (there was no music here which accented the powerful blows) was awesome. Loved loved how he spoke and talked about theatricality and deception, how he was the league of shadows, how he was born in darkness and bruce only adopted it.... I was very impressed with this whole scene. Especially the choreography of the fight, something nolan has had previous trouble shooting..
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:04 am

Nolan should not work with lee smith again. I feel better editing could have fixed the problems ale had with the time jumping..
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:05 am

If not for editing, then more establishing shots to depict the passage of time
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 am

Damn what a disappointing summer in retrospect. All these movies had fantastic trailers (tdkr, prometheus) but i feel the movies themselves didnt earn the hype generated from them.
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:52 am

Soylent Brown wrote:IMO (I feel like I have to specify since a lot of you dudes really liked it) it was a terrible movie.

The prison thing was stupid as shit. All of it. I also have the questions of "how did he get back to Gotham without anyone knowing?" and it annoys me.

The entire prison scene was quite clearly a metaphor meant to mirror the first film. And used as a device to teach Bruce to unlearn what Ra's Al Ghul taught him. Not to mention the whole rising theme that's used throughout the whole film also.

Rather than just chaulk it up to "you figure it out/he had the money and connections to do it/it's not important" I consider it a weakness and just bad story telling.

How he got back doesn't matter. What do we gain in the movie from watching him hitchhike to an airport. Calling someone to get money wired. Taking a flight across the world. And then sneaking back into Gotham. Did we need 20 minutes of that? The prison scene was there to grow his character.

Cat woman's role was useless. I wanted her to be cool. She blew up a tunnel, cool. Batman could have done that in a second.

She was the reason Batman got all fucked up. How is that useless?

Oh look she shot Bane in the face. WTF happened to him afterward. Did he die?

She shot him with a rocket that she previously used to blow up like 10 cars. He's clearly dead.

He was the main baddie but was completely unresolved.

Talia's monologue completely resolved Bane's motives. And showed us that she was the main baddie and not Bane. And Batman already had beaten him. And her coming back and shooting him, proves that Batman was right about Catwoman. That scene resolved everything.

Overall, probably my largest complaint was the absence of the passage of time. Suddenly it's two months later, then a few minutes before the bomb goes off. Also a problem given that HE BROKE HIS FUCKING BACK and then a couple scenes later, with seemingly no time gone by he's back on his toes again.

I do agree that the time jump is jarring, but it's clearly shown on the TV that it's been 3 months by the time he starts doing his pushups and stuff.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 am

I agree with everything never says.

Everyone else sucks at movie reviews, even that mongo guy. What does he know about movies? Pfft.
Gay For Pay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 am

I watched it again last night. I decided to concentrate on the soundtrack this time around, since a lot of people seem to hate it.

Personally I really like it, but there are parts where it's mixed too loud over the vocals and you lose character words. Half the time you can't understand Bane it's because the background sounds are too loud. Even Gordon loses a few lines to the music. I like the music, but it just seems poorly mixed.

I think I liked Robin/Blake less this time around. His accent changes from the beginning of the movie to the end. In his first line of the film he has this super obnoxious east coast tough guy accent and by the end of the movie he just sounds like normal JGL.

However I liked Bane a lot more the second time I watched it. For not being able to show his face, Hardy put a ton of emotion into Bane's eyes and mannerisms. He totally owned that role. So good.

I didn't mind the length of the Cave scene on second viewing. Knowing why it was part of the film and what it was going to contribute to the growth of Batman 's character made it pretty important. And for some reason on first watch I felt like it lasted forever, but that entire scene was probably only like 8 minutes long.

And I totally missed the Killer Croc reference the first time around. I thought that was hilarious.
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:41 pm

the killer croc reference was from jgl when he told wayne that the police had asked him if he had seen any crocodiles in the sewer, right?

i also liked the reference to cats in tdk (morgan freeman says the suit should be fine against cats)
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:42 pm

RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver wrote:I agree with everything never says.

Everyone else sucks at movie reviews, even that mongo guy. What does he know about movies? Pfft.

im not even going to dignify this with a real response.
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by osama on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:41 pm

why so serious?
osama
Limp Wristed Nancy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:54 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:
RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver wrote:I agree with everything never says.

im not even going to dignify this with a real response.
Likewise.
Gay For Pay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Likewise

lol
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by never on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:26 pm

I LOVE THIS MOVIE IT'S AWESOME YOU ALL SUCK

=)
never
Bicurous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RonSwanson AKA DukeSilver on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 pm

I agree with this drunk guy^
Gay For Pay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 pm

We should all fight like the good ol days
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:28 pm

lol
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:01 am

never wrote:
Soylent Brown wrote:IMO (I feel like I have to specify since a lot of you dudes really liked it) it was a terrible movie.

The prison thing was stupid as shit. All of it. I also have the questions of "how did he get back to Gotham without anyone knowing?" and it annoys me.

The entire prison scene was quite clearly a metaphor meant to mirror the first film. And used as a device to teach Bruce to unlearn what Ra's Al Ghul taught him. Not to mention the whole rising theme that's used throughout the whole film also.
that's cool, but it was boring.

Rather than just chaulk it up to "you figure it out/he had the money and connections to do it/it's not important" I consider it a weakness and just bad story telling.

How he got back doesn't matter. What do we gain in the movie from watching him hitchhike to an airport. Calling someone to get money wired. Taking a flight across the world. And then sneaking back into Gotham. Did we need 20 minutes of that? The prison scene was there to grow his character.

Cat woman's role was useless. I wanted her to be cool. She blew up a tunnel, cool. Batman could have done that in a second.
No, putting that in the film that way would be dumb, I agree. 2 mins, really? how about a hint at some point that he had some hidden funds or a friend he could easily contact that owned a jet plane and ferry. Given that he seemingly had no money and Gotham was basically excommunicated from the rest of the world it was jarring. Add to that that I have no clue how long it took him to get back from the prison, or when the hell Bane took him there. The whole prison place just did not mesh. It seemed so separate and (I hate saying it because it's a movie about superheros, but even then) unrealistic based on the film's terms.
Grow his character? He was two dimensional. He had very little personality in this movie.

She was the reason Batman got all fucked up. How is that useless?
He could have eventually headed down there on his own. The commissioner had already told him about the hideout and he was looking into it. He would have walked into that trap at any point.

Oh look she shot Bane in the face. WTF happened to him afterward. Did he die?

She shot him with a rocket that she previously used to blow up like 10 cars. He's clearly dead.

He was the main baddie but was completely unresolved.

Talia's monologue completely resolved Bane's motives. And showed us that she was the main baddie and not Bane. And Batman already had beaten him. And her coming back and shooting him, proves that Batman was right about Catwoman. That scene resolved everything.

by unresolved I mean he was never showed dead. Not necessarily the character's motives. I totally phrased that incorrectly.
So you're saying no villain has ever survived an attack that would seemingly kill them only to not. But more than that it felt like a loose end. Hey that dude that's been the main villain the entire time, yeah he's suddenly not important anymore to the point where we don't even show the aftermath of the blast or really reference him again.

I do agree that the time jump is jarring, but it's clearly shown on the TV that it's been 3 months by the time he starts doing his pushups and stuff.
"Clearly shows on the TV" is an overstatement. Maybe it was clear but it wasn't easy and it was still very sloppy.

Oh, more things

How many people knew Batman's identity? The Batman could be anyone except for all those people who easily figured it out.

Why wait so long to blow up Gotham? I think maybe you, Never, could answer this one. I attribute that to my lack of comic book knowledge. Was she waiting for Batman to escape the prison so she could blow him up too? If she was, couldn't she have know that would make him stronger and more difficult to defeat?

The chaos in Gotham under Bane was weaksauce. It didn't seem terribly distopian.

Last edited by Soylent Brown on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:03 am

NOT MONGO wrote:Damn what a disappointing summer in retrospect. All these movies had fantastic trailers (tdkr, prometheus) but i feel the movies themselves didnt earn the hype generated from them.
I like Prometheus! Also The Raid was amazing and Goon. Was that in the summer or spring?

And I'm excited for Excision. Honestly, I think there are a lot of movies I've been excited to watch recently and a good amount of them I have enjoyed quite a bit.
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content