Deftones Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

+9
refused
winterborne1
bᴏy
mav3rik
Soylent Brown
Snoogans
NOT MONGO
Garrett
ImAroundTheFur
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists... - Page 2 Empty Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by bᴏy Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:46 am

I found a gnarly jazz compilation with music from the 20s and 30s and every single song on the compilation was about weed. It compliments my Watts Prophets and punk stuff more than my other jazz music, but still. I wish I had an actual vinyl record of it.
bᴏy
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists... - Page 2 Empty Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Soylent Brown Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:41 am

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
ah! a banana slug! what are you studying?

i had a few friends who went to ucsc back in the day. i remember visiting them and then taking a grand tour of the dorms and the infamous "rape trail"... that whole college is like real life alan wake.. kinda creepy!
I actually graduated a few months ago. I studied Latin American/Latino Studies & Literature. I totally specialized in something not very employable but incredibly fun.

GAH?! I hadn't heard of the "rape trail". There are some awesome hiking places on campus but admitedly I've mostly hiked off campus. I never had time to explore it when I studied there but I should do that now.
I had to google Alan Wake. I can see what you mean, though! I love the creepy serial killer stories.
Have you been down here very much at all? Initially I didn't like it very much but in the last year we've found some awesome hiking places (Henry Cowell Park, Pogonip, and Wilder Ranch State Park) so I'm enjoying it a lot more.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists... - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100/100Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists... - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by winterborne1 Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:32 am

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
i think thats what makes jazz one of the most exciting genres of music. the improvisation allows for one of the truest outlets of expression... im always looking for great jazz musicians to listen to. thanks for showing me michael wolff!

True that. Expression is the best part of playing an instrument, in my opinion. I hate playing rigidly and knowing what notes I'm supposed to play. I learn songs just so I can fuck with them, make them my own, and I never, ever play the same song twice in the same way.

As for discovering new jazz artists and old, I've been getting a kick out of the Blue Note app on Spotify. They don't have everybody I like, but they have plenty I haven't heard of and it gives each artist a good intro page too.
winterborne1
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:
Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists... - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100/100Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists... - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 pm

jazz is like the intersection between progressive rock and hip hop.

I'm listening to Artie Shaw as we speak.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAroundTheFur Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 am

Soylent Brown wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:
ah! a banana slug! what are you studying?

i had a few friends who went to ucsc back in the day. i remember visiting them and then taking a grand tour of the dorms and the infamous "rape trail"... that whole college is like real life alan wake.. kinda creepy!
I actually graduated a few months ago. I studied Latin American/Latino Studies & Literature. I totally specialized in something not very employable but incredibly fun.

GAH?! I hadn't heard of the "rape trail". There are some awesome hiking places on campus but admitedly I've mostly hiked off campus. I never had time to explore it when I studied there but I should do that now.
I had to google Alan Wake. I can see what you mean, though! I love the creepy serial killer stories.
Have you been down here very much at all? Initially I didn't like it very much but in the last year we've found some awesome hiking places (Henry Cowell Park, Pogonip, and Wilder Ranch State Park) so I'm enjoying it a lot more.

last time i was there was to see deftones, ironically enough. it was during the snw tour, so it was a long time ago.

i really wanted to go during the summer but never got around to it. nothings better than santa cruz during a hot day. its so laid back.

i've been hiking a lot lately.. ill have to try the places you suggested. i went around muir woods this summer and it was awesome. the german beer cabin was pretty hipster-rific, but i liked it none-the-less.

the only decent hiking spot around here is mission peak, and its not really all that great.

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAroundTheFur Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 am

winterborne1 wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:
i think thats what makes jazz one of the most exciting genres of music. the improvisation allows for one of the truest outlets of expression... im always looking for great jazz musicians to listen to. thanks for showing me michael wolff!

True that. Expression is the best part of playing an instrument, in my opinion. I hate playing rigidly and knowing what notes I'm supposed to play. I learn songs just so I can fuck with them, make them my own, and I never, ever play the same song twice in the same way.

As for discovering new jazz artists and old, I've been getting a kick out of the Blue Note app on Spotify. They don't have everybody I like, but they have plenty I haven't heard of and it gives each artist a good intro page too.

ahhh.. thats a good suggestion! is it the blue note records back catalog, or is that just the name of the app?

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAroundTheFur Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 am

The Writer wrote:jazz is like the intersection between progressive rock and hip hop.

I'm listening to Artie Shaw as we speak.

nothing better than a jewish clarinetist! lol rabbit

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:39 pm

As long as they're white.

Just kidding, 90% of jazz and 5/6th of the deftones.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:25 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
last time i was there was to see deftones, ironically enough. it was during the snw tour, so it was a long time ago.

i really wanted to go during the summer but never got around to it. nothings better than santa cruz during a hot day. its so laid back.

i've been hiking a lot lately.. ill have to try the places you suggested. i went around muir woods this summer and it was awesome. the german beer cabin was pretty hipster-rific, but i liked it none-the-less.

the only decent hiking spot around here is mission peak, and its not really all that great.
Did they play The Catalyst? I could google that but then I wouldn't know what you thought about the venue. I have yet to see a show there but it's where most well-known bands play.

haha I actually don't really like the very hot days so I usually just mope around at home. The heat makes it almost impossible for me to enjoy anything. That being said it is beautiful and the Boardwalk is kind of cool.

We've been going to Wilder Ranch a lot recently. You have to go to the main office to grab a map or if you pay for parking you can buy one there. I'd suggest doing that or having a map/GPS/great memory or sense of direction. We've gotten lost a few times and ended up walking four miles to find the next marker and find our way back around. It's woodsy in parts but most of the hikes are probably in the open. OH there's also a trail that follows along the cliffs overlooking the ocean. There are sea lions and such living around there too.
I really like Henry Cowell because it's SO woodsy, l and if you enter through the hwy 9 you can stop by the Bigfoot Museum! It's a total hole in the wall but the dude who runs it is pretty cool.
DeLaveaga is fairly small and by a golfcourse so you can't really get lost, but it's only a few miles hike and not very strenuous.
I want to go to Big Basin again and check out the Berry Creek water falls.

DeLaveaga
pogonip
Henry Cowell
Big Basin
Wilder Ranch
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vezmus Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:30 am

Oh fuck is this turning into a jazz board? Seriously, I am down with free expression but they always seem to suck at it.

Vezmus
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID: The Ghost Turd
Type: Military
Shields:

https://deftones.forumotion.com/profile?mode=editprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by bᴏy Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:02 am

Vezmus wrote:Oh fuck is this turning into a jazz board? Seriously, I am down with free expression but they always seem to suck at it.

Then again, art, music and all of their derivative and subsequent forms is kind of like the process of making Espresso. Sure, you may make a tasty beverage after a great deal of effort, but it's still not perfect Espresso. It's more of a conceptual art in and of itself than an actual reality.
bᴏy
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by bᴏy Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:13 am

But I 'get' the point you're trying to make. I'll fight all day for creative and artistic and personal expression, but I'd be just as glad to never see any of you ever feel the need to use it in any way. Most of the shit people think and say and the ideas they have and commit to media of any kind are remarkably uninteresting and redundant and the majority of art and music lacks any other substance other than commercial value as a placebo commodity.
bᴏy
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 pm

wat
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAroundTheFur Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Soylent Brown wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:

Did they play The Catalyst? I could google that but then I wouldn't know what you thought about the venue. I have yet to see a show there but it's where most well-known bands play.

haha I actually don't really like the very hot days so I usually just mope around at home. The heat makes it almost impossible for me to enjoy anything. That being said it is beautiful and the Boardwalk is kind of cool.

We've been going to Wilder Ranch a lot recently. You have to go to the main office to grab a map or if you pay for parking you can buy one there. I'd suggest doing that or having a map/GPS/great memory or sense of direction. We've gotten lost a few times and ended up walking four miles to find the next marker and find our way back around. It's woodsy in parts but most of the hikes are probably in the open. OH there's also a trail that follows along the cliffs overlooking the ocean. There are sea lions and such living around there too.
I really like Henry Cowell because it's SO woodsy, l and if you enter through the hwy 9 you can stop by the Bigfoot Museum! It's a total hole in the wall but the dude who runs it is pretty cool.
DeLaveaga is fairly small and by a golfcourse so you can't really get lost, but it's only a few miles hike and not very strenuous.
I want to go to Big Basin again and check out the Berry Creek water falls.

DeLaveaga
pogonip
Henry Cowell
Big Basin
Wilder Ranch

they actually played the santa cruz civic auditorium. very weird venue. i dont think it was made for deftones shows... lol

ive never been to the catalyst before either. i've heard its a cramped, shitty spot. maybe one day someone important enough will play there and make me get off my ass and drive down to see them.

thanks so much for the hiking suggestions! i'll have to check them out in the spring. the bigfoot museum sounds awesome!! wish i had suggestions as good as yours, but fremont/union city isn't exactly a wilderness wonderland... well, actually, if you check out LITTLE YOSEMITE, off of 680, you may dig it. its a little hiking spot out in the middle of the sunol hills.

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAroundTheFur Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:28 pm

bᴏy wrote:But I 'get' the point you're trying to make. I'll fight all day for creative and artistic and personal expression, but I'd be just as glad to never see any of you ever feel the need to use it in any way. Most of the shit people think and say and the ideas they have and commit to media of any kind are remarkably uninteresting and redundant and the majority of art and music lacks any other substance other than commercial value as a placebo commodity.

yeah but downloading that shit for free is awesome!

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
they actually played the santa cruz civic auditorium. very weird venue. i dont think it was made for deftones shows... lol

ive never been to the catalyst before either. i've heard its a cramped, shitty spot. maybe one day someone important enough will play there and make me get off my ass and drive down to see them.

thanks so much for the hiking suggestions! i'll have to check them out in the spring. the bigfoot museum sounds awesome!! wish i had suggestions as good as yours, but fremont/union city isn't exactly a wilderness wonderland... well, actually, if you check out LITTLE YOSEMITE, off of 680, you may dig it. its a little hiking spot out in the middle of the sunol hills.
I saw Weird Al at the Civic. It doesn't seem like it was meant to be a venue at all!

That's about what I've heard, but there are a few dissenting voices that love it, so I don't know.

I like the sound of that! I may check that out some time. It's a little out of the way but we occasionally end up in Sunnyvale for comedy shows anyway and that doesn't seem too far from there.
Depending on what you're expecting from the museum you might be terribly disappointed or enchanted by it. Its mostly bigfoot toys and collectibles, a few maps, folklore books, and pretty cool plaster footprints. The highlight of it is probably the mom and pop feel and the dude who runs the place.

WHOA I wish I didn't work on Saturdays. Maybe I'll send Chad that away and have him report back! http://bigfootdiscoveryproject.com/ October 20th event
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by bᴏy Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Soylent Brown wrote:wat

There is no possible way that you couldn't understand what I typed if this was directed at me.
bᴏy
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2