Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 am

like a goddam phoenix rising from the ashes of the epicenter of assholism on the internet (aka the official deftones board) comes this bastardized spawn of satan himself.... the deftones board reborn on forumotion.

i was doing my yearly search of sharing lungs (about once a year i get the itch to see if any rare deftones news/downloads crop up, but i fucking hate that board) and i stumbled across this place.

i already saw winter, snoogans, mos shark, cerati9, toothbrush posting on here... who else has migrated over?

anyway, glad to see all of you are still alive. we'll keep in touch.



ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Garrett on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 am

I went by 'now im nothing' at the old colony.

I knew throwing the words sharing lungs on the front page would reel in some fishpeople.
avatar
Garrett
What For?

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-03-09

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by NOT MONGO on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:47 am

are you the dude who i used to talk movies with?
avatar
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Posts : 851
Join date : 2011-03-21
Age : 32
Location : Brockton, MA

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:08 am

now im nothing! i remember you!

not mongo? is that garrett? fuck, i cant remember what we talked about... movies? maybe?

what movies did you talk about?

that was like 8 years ago... i cant even remember what i had for breakfast today.. lol


i started posting back in 2000 all the way up to the bitter end. i mostly kept the peace... didn't really stir up much shit. hung out with jeff (winter), xavier (cerati9) and.. fuck.. cant remember his name.. MADDOG? maybe.

is gary around anymore? that dude had warm rhymes.

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Snoogans on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:50 am

Pssssssst. Garrett = now im nothing.

Also, this place doesn't exist. We're all just the dream of some autistic kid in the 80's.
avatar
Snoogans
Titties and Weed

Posts : 295
Join date : 2011-03-10
Age : 35
Location : Boston

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Unidentified
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Soylent Brown on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:44 am

I don't remember what I used to go by
avatar
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Posts : 1540
Join date : 2011-03-09
Age : 29
Location : Santa Claus

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Garrett on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 pm

uh... fishbulb?
avatar
Garrett
What For?

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-03-09

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:27 pm

lol i thought garrett had a bunch of screen names.... it's been so long ago that i dont even remember.

i definitely recall both now im nothing and not mongo screen names, though. whoever not mongo is used to flame the shit out of the old boards. those were good good times.


anyway, what has everyone been up to? it doesnt look like the same good old shit stirring around here.....

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Garrett on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:07 pm

his name is Mike, and he loves movies more than I.

I choose my lovers carefully.
avatar
Garrett
What For?

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-03-09

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Soylent Brown on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 pm

The Writer wrote:uh... fishbulb?
HAHA That'd be an awesome SN. I was unfortunately clever enough and went by poopie head. I remembered because Brian calls me poopie.
avatar
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Posts : 1540
Join date : 2011-03-09
Age : 29
Location : Santa Claus

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:36 am

yup... poopie head... i remember you!


so i just watched the Entertain Me documentary leak... its not that bad. lulz at how many people wanted to sell their first born to get a copy, though.

makes me miss old school chi back in 2000-2002... before things started going bad

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by NOT MONGO on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:51 am

yeah i was always in flame wars with everyone. i was a dickhead who didnt have his head on straight.... things changed and i grew the fuck up...

glad you made it here and i hope you stay... all we need is gauthy, kristennoodle, 50 cent and some other people and it will be like old times...
avatar
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Posts : 851
Join date : 2011-03-21
Age : 32
Location : Brockton, MA

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by NOT MONGO on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:54 am

ImAroundTheFur wrote:yup... poopie head... i remember you!


so i just watched the Entertain Me documentary leak... its not that bad. lulz at how many people wanted to sell their first born to get a copy, though.

makes me miss old school chi back in 2000-2002... before things started going bad

link for the entertain me leak please?
avatar
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Posts : 851
Join date : 2011-03-21
Age : 32
Location : Brockton, MA

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by mav3rik on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:09 pm

i've been lurking on these boards since 02 (the old board). i never posted any thing other than that 1 time when you guys were discussing about batman begins.

most of the time i just read stuff here/there as i cant relate to most topics as i am not from the US.

i enjoyed most the discussions though, and i still remember most of people from the prev board. poopie head, shinobi, mongo, cerati, ukdangermouse, guero, anthony.. etc.


mav3rik
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by mav3rik on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:13 pm

And i remember Dean creating a lot of topics just for the sake of creating one.

those were the most entertaining times. Smile

mav3rik
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Garrett on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:53 pm

yeah, dean was probably methed out or something, right?

I wouldn't mind more people showing up.
avatar
Garrett
What For?

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-03-09

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by mav3rik on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm

cool, thanks.

my name is erik by the way and i'm a deftones fan from the philippines

mav3rik
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by bᴏy on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:43 am

Technically, I don't do any drugs, unless you consider caffeine, marijuana and cigarettes "drugs"... I suppose they are. Meth is probably better for you than cigarettes, anyway.

And, also, the majority of the topics I posted were all meticulously plotted out and manufactured as such, purposely. I rarely have time for leisurely things, though it would appear to be the exact opposite from random, pedestrian observation. Thanks for noticing and remembering me, though, Erik of the Philippines!
avatar
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Posts : 81
Join date : 2012-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Garrett on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Well, I saw an episode of intervention about a gay man on crystal meth with an incest fetish, and I'll be damned if I didn't think of you.

I do a lot of caffeine myself. I have a handle on it though. I'm not on the street sucking dick for diet coke or anything.
avatar
Garrett
What For?

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-03-09

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Snoogans on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:07 pm

I haven't watched Intervention in awhile, but it seems like I've missed a lot!
avatar
Snoogans
Titties and Weed

Posts : 295
Join date : 2011-03-10
Age : 35
Location : Boston

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Unidentified
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 pm

NOT MONGO wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:yup... poopie head... i remember you!


so i just watched the Entertain Me documentary leak... its not that bad. lulz at how many people wanted to sell their first born to get a copy, though.

makes me miss old school chi back in 2000-2002... before things started going bad

link for the entertain me leak please?

i dont remember where i found the torrent but its all over the place... just type Entertain Me+Deftones in google and you can get the torrent from a bunch of places...

its funny to think they were around my age when recording WP. its funny to see how youthful they were

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 pm

bᴏy wrote:Technically, I don't do any drugs, unless you consider caffeine, marijuana and cigarettes "drugs"... I suppose they are. Meth is probably better for you than cigarettes, anyway.

And, also, the majority of the topics I posted were all meticulously plotted out and manufactured as such, purposely. I rarely have time for leisurely things, though it would appear to be the exact opposite from random, pedestrian observation. Thanks for noticing and remembering me, though, Erik of the Philippines!

great post. i love it!

who were you on the old boards?


btw.. i remember 50 cent.. that guy and MONGO were always up to shit!! good times!

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by winterborne1 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:30 am

Maybe we can dial back the reminiscence a little bit, for the sake of not being TOO gay.
avatar
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Posts : 477
Join date : 2011-03-13

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by refused on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

I hadn't thought about the deftones board in years....and look what I have here.


random.

refused
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Jesse on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 am

who the hell are you?
avatar
Jesse
Bill Murray

Posts : 285
Join date : 2011-03-10
Age : 32
Location : Los Angeles

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Roland Thoundercloud
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile http://www.Twitter.com/Huxington

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by refused on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 am

refused/endsummary/Luke

refused
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Garrett on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 pm

now that is a name I have not heard in a long time.
avatar
Garrett
What For?

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-03-09

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by NOT MONGO on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

werent you a dr.?
avatar
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Posts : 851
Join date : 2011-03-21
Age : 32
Location : Brockton, MA

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by :D on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:25 pm

i was dr.dre or something
avatar
:D
8====D

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by refused on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:01 pm

I still am. In my last year of residency then two more years of fellowship...after that finally a real job.

refused
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by uhoh on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Isn't this board just a big fake name? I never trust anything in this place. I'm assuming you're all one person trolling the shit out of me.
avatar
uhoh
Goat Sucker

Posts : 268
Join date : 2011-03-13
Age : 33
Location : Las Vegas

Space Vessel
Craft ID: uhoh and stuff
Type: Civilian
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Soylent Brown on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:07 pm

uhoh wrote:Isn't this board just a big fake name? I never trust anything in this place. I'm assuming you're all one person trolling the shit out of me.
Haha I hadn't thought of that one.
I haven't used fake names since the official boards. I am suspicious of new people though.
avatar
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Posts : 1540
Join date : 2011-03-09
Age : 29
Location : Santa Claus

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Jesse on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:36 am

refused wrote:I still am. In my last year of residency then two more years of fellowship...after that finally a real job.

oh, you're the buff white dude from oregon or something, no?
avatar
Jesse
Bill Murray

Posts : 285
Join date : 2011-03-10
Age : 32
Location : Los Angeles

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Roland Thoundercloud
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile http://www.Twitter.com/Huxington

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 am

uhoh wrote:Isn't this board just a big fake name? I never trust anything in this place. I'm assuming you're all one person trolling the shit out of me.

lol that made me laugh heartily

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:15 am

winterborne1 wrote:Maybe we can dial back the reminiscence a little bit, for the sake of not being TOO gay.

whats up jeff?

still playing jazz keyboard?

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by winterborne1 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Traded my keyboards for a 1931 yamaha grand piano. i play a lot more often now, but i don't do gigs anymore. i still suck.

i've been working on this stuff for the past couple days:


and no you will never hear me play again.
avatar
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Posts : 477
Join date : 2011-03-13

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 am

winterborne1 wrote:Traded my keyboards for a 1931 yamaha grand piano. i play a lot more often now, but i don't do gigs anymore. i still suck.

i've been working on this stuff for the past couple days:


and no you will never hear me play again.

that is some in depth theory going on there... i have serious respect for jazz pianists.. how's it coming along? are you grasping the progressions easily?

what else is new? i remember you moved to texas, right? im still in the bay area.. not really going to shows much anymore. i kinda grew out of that.. but im gonna see deftones at the warfield, of course.

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by uhoh on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:58 am

I like the deftones too

how coincidental
avatar
uhoh
Goat Sucker

Posts : 268
Join date : 2011-03-13
Age : 33
Location : Las Vegas

Space Vessel
Craft ID: uhoh and stuff
Type: Civilian
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by winterborne1 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:02 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
that is some in depth theory going on there... i have serious respect for jazz pianists.. how's it coming along? are you grasping the progressions easily?

what else is new? i remember you moved to texas, right? im still in the bay area.. not really going to shows much anymore. i kinda grew out of that.. but im gonna see deftones at the warfield, of course.

It's coming along slowly but surely. I understand most of the concepts from the video, which is the easy part. The part that takes time is turning them into instinct. That guy has much better command of the keys than I do, and plays each note with authority which is probably because those concepts are just second nature to him. I'm at the point where I know what I'm supposed to do, and can do it to a certain extent, but I'm not sliding up and down the keys with ease because I'm too focused on thinking of the next change and many times if I get carried away with soloing, I'll forget to move to the next chord with my left hand, so one chord might get an extra measure, etc.

I'm not really focused so much on the soloing as I am the voicings he uses, though. I mean, some of the arpeggiation he uses is really cool, but it's the voicings that I think just sound incredibly awesome, especially the stuff he does at 5:47. There's a second part of that video where he teaches about chromatic improvisation, and I've been improvising chromatically for a long time, but the way he does it just blows my mind. Instead of soloing chromatically, which is what I'm used to doing, he actually shifts the chord up chromatically, one half-step, and for some reason that just blew my fucking mind off.

The progression itself is pretty simple though. The song is called Autumn Leaves, and it progresses in fourths, so if you're already comfortable moving around the circle of fourths, then the song should just come naturally to you.

I moved to Texas in 2003, moved to Virginia in 2004, moved to Phoenix in 2006 and then moved to Los Angeles in 2007, and I'm still here in LA, and will probably be here for awhile longer. I didn't have things holding me down back in the days I was moving around, and now I'm totally chained to Los Angeles. I'll probably be here for another 10 years, at least, unless something radical changes in my life.

I don't really go to shows much either unless a friend is performing. I kinda grew out of the Deftones although I still sometimes get an itch to listen to a song or two. Never an entire album. Metal has kind of run its course for me.
avatar
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Posts : 477
Join date : 2011-03-13

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Soylent Brown on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote:not really going to shows much anymore. i kinda grew out of that.. but im gonna see deftones at the warfield, of course.

I will be attending the Warfield show, it looks like!
Where in the Bay do you live?

facebook group
avatar
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Posts : 1540
Join date : 2011-03-09
Age : 29
Location : Santa Claus

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by bᴏy on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:29 pm

uhoh wrote:Isn't this board just a big fake name? I never trust anything in this place. I'm assuming you're all one person trolling the shit out of me.

My name is Luther Blissett, but most people here just call me "Dean"
Some of the people from back in the day call me "Deano" or "Deanous" as well
avatar
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Posts : 81
Join date : 2012-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:10 am

winterborne1 wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:
that is some in depth theory going on there... i have serious respect for jazz pianists.. how's it coming along? are you grasping the progressions easily?

what else is new? i remember you moved to texas, right? im still in the bay area.. not really going to shows much anymore. i kinda grew out of that.. but im gonna see deftones at the warfield, of course.

It's coming along slowly but surely. I understand most of the concepts from the video, which is the easy part. The part that takes time is turning them into instinct. That guy has much better command of the keys than I do, and plays each note with authority which is probably because those concepts are just second nature to him. I'm at the point where I know what I'm supposed to do, and can do it to a certain extent, but I'm not sliding up and down the keys with ease because I'm too focused on thinking of the next change and many times if I get carried away with soloing, I'll forget to move to the next chord with my left hand, so one chord might get an extra measure, etc.

I'm not really focused so much on the soloing as I am the voicings he uses, though. I mean, some of the arpeggiation he uses is really cool, but it's the voicings that I think just sound incredibly awesome, especially the stuff he does at 5:47. There's a second part of that video where he teaches about chromatic improvisation, and I've been improvising chromatically for a long time, but the way he does it just blows my mind. Instead of soloing chromatically, which is what I'm used to doing, he actually shifts the chord up chromatically, one half-step, and for some reason that just blew my fucking mind off.

The progression itself is pretty simple though. The song is called Autumn Leaves, and it progresses in fourths, so if you're already comfortable moving around the circle of fourths, then the song should just come naturally to you.

I moved to Texas in 2003, moved to Virginia in 2004, moved to Phoenix in 2006 and then moved to Los Angeles in 2007, and I'm still here in LA, and will probably be here for awhile longer. I didn't have things holding me down back in the days I was moving around, and now I'm totally chained to Los Angeles. I'll probably be here for another 10 years, at least, unless something radical changes in my life.

I don't really go to shows much either unless a friend is performing. I kinda grew out of the Deftones although I still sometimes get an itch to listen to a song or two. Never an entire album. Metal has kind of run its course for me.


i know how hard it is to be able to understand theory yet struggle to implement in fluidly. it takes days, weeks, months, years of practice to be able to move with the ease that michael wolff has. he has a really beautiful touch, but that has come after decades of playing day in and day out. i was checking out his performance schedule and he's going to be here in sf tonight. i might go and catch him if i get a chance.

sounds like you've put down some roots in la. are you still in the film business? i remember you talking about that a long time ago.

btw i know you said that no one will hear your stuff, but if you ever decide to record your piano playing, id love to hear it!


Last edited by ImAroundTheFur on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:12 am

Soylent Brown wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:not really going to shows much anymore. i kinda grew out of that.. but im gonna see deftones at the warfield, of course.

I will be attending the Warfield show, it looks like!
Where in the Bay do you live?

facebook group

im in the east bay... fremont/union city area.

where are you from?

thanks for the facebook link.. ill add that when i log on to my pc... well, let me try it from my smartphone.. maybe itll work

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:14 am

bᴏy wrote:
uhoh wrote:Isn't this board just a big fake name? I never trust anything in this place. I'm assuming you're all one person trolling the shit out of me.

My name is Luther Blissett, but most people here just call me "Dean"
Some of the people from back in the day call me "Deano" or "Deanous" as well

the DEAN from the old boards... the infamous Dean

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Soylent Brown on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:08 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
Soylent Brown wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:not really going to shows much anymore. i kinda grew out of that.. but im gonna see deftones at the warfield, of course.

I will be attending the Warfield show, it looks like!
Where in the Bay do you live?

facebook group

im in the east bay... fremont/union city area.

where are you from?

thanks for the facebook link.. ill add that when i log on to my pc... well, let me try it from my smartphone.. maybe itll work
A couple of years ago I moved from San Diego to Santa Cruz to study at the university here.
avatar
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Posts : 1540
Join date : 2011-03-09
Age : 29
Location : Santa Claus

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by winterborne1 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:37 pm

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
i know how hard it is to be able to understand theory yet struggle to implement in fluidly. it takes days, weeks, months, years of practice to be able to move with the ease that michael wolff has. he has a really beautiful touch, but that has come after decades of playing day in and day out. i was checking out his performance schedule and he's going to be here in sf tonight. i might go and catch him if i get a chance.

sounds like you've put down some roots in la. are you still in the film business? i remember you talking about that a long time ago.

btw i know you said that no one will hear your stuff, but if you ever decide to record your piano playing, id love to hear it!

I think I'm coming across a lot of different voicings on accident just as I play around the chord progression. I think 99% of playing jazz is just in the fearlessness you put into it, and I think that's why I like playing it so much. Playing classical piano, if you mess up, everybody knows it, and it becomes your goal to not do it again. But in jazz, if I play a wrong note, it becomes my mission to make that note the BEST note in the song. I can't tell you how many times I'd just be playing for a bunch of people and I'd fuck up, and then instead of admitting my mistake to myself, I'd just transform the rest of the song AROUND that note. Then everyone thinks I'm some kind of genius, but really I'm just mistake-prone and too stubborn to admit my mistakes.

I'm no longer in the film industry. I work in broadcast TV now.
avatar
winterborne1
Rodz & Kulture

Posts : 477
Join date : 2011-03-13

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Interstella 5555
Type: Merchant
Shields:
100/100  (100/100)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Soylent Brown wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:
Soylent Brown wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:not really going to shows much anymore. i kinda grew out of that.. but im gonna see deftones at the warfield, of course.

I will be attending the Warfield show, it looks like!
Where in the Bay do you live?

facebook group

im in the east bay... fremont/union city area.

where are you from?

thanks for the facebook link.. ill add that when i log on to my pc... well, let me try it from my smartphone.. maybe itll work
A couple of years ago I moved from San Diego to Santa Cruz to study at the university here.

ah! a banana slug! what are you studying?

i had a few friends who went to ucsc back in the day. i remember visiting them and then taking a grand tour of the dorms and the infamous "rape trail"... that whole college is like real life alan wake.. kinda creepy!

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by ImAroundTheFur on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:35 pm

winterborne1 wrote:
ImAroundTheFur wrote:
i know how hard it is to be able to understand theory yet struggle to implement in fluidly. it takes days, weeks, months, years of practice to be able to move with the ease that michael wolff has. he has a really beautiful touch, but that has come after decades of playing day in and day out. i was checking out his performance schedule and he's going to be here in sf tonight. i might go and catch him if i get a chance.

sounds like you've put down some roots in la. are you still in the film business? i remember you talking about that a long time ago.

btw i know you said that no one will hear your stuff, but if you ever decide to record your piano playing, id love to hear it!

I think I'm coming across a lot of different voicings on accident just as I play around the chord progression. I think 99% of playing jazz is just in the fearlessness you put into it, and I think that's why I like playing it so much. Playing classical piano, if you mess up, everybody knows it, and it becomes your goal to not do it again. But in jazz, if I play a wrong note, it becomes my mission to make that note the BEST note in the song. I can't tell you how many times I'd just be playing for a bunch of people and I'd fuck up, and then instead of admitting my mistake to myself, I'd just transform the rest of the song AROUND that note. Then everyone thinks I'm some kind of genius, but really I'm just mistake-prone and too stubborn to admit my mistakes.

I'm no longer in the film industry. I work in broadcast TV now.

i think thats what makes jazz one of the most exciting genres of music. the improvisation allows for one of the truest outlets of expression... im always looking for great jazz musicians to listen to. thanks for showing me michael wolff!

ImAroundTheFur
Limp Wristed Nancy

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by bᴏy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 am

ImAroundTheFur wrote:
bᴏy wrote:
uhoh wrote:Isn't this board just a big fake name? I never trust anything in this place. I'm assuming you're all one person trolling the shit out of me.

My name is Luther Blissett, but most people here just call me "Dean"
Some of the people from back in the day call me "Deano" or "Deanous" as well

the DEAN from the old boards... the infamous Dean

the only Dean, as far as I know
avatar
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Posts : 81
Join date : 2012-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by bᴏy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:41 am

who the fuck listens to jazz in 2012?

just kidding, Kaoru Abe, f.t.w.
avatar
bᴏy
Gay For Pay

Posts : 81
Join date : 2012-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy shit... I can't believe this place exists...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum