Deftones Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I may be moving to a different state next year

+3
Soylent Brown
NOT MONGO
Garrett
7 posters

Go down

I may be moving to a different state next year Empty I may be moving to a different state next year

Post by Garrett Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Jessica, who is still my girlfriend, has a nice little career started in early child education, but she wants to go to grad school. She's been looking in the following places:

Boston, Massachusetts
Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina
Chicago, Illinois
Austin, Texas

and a few out of the country places. I believe she'll go to one of these fancy places, because she's serious about this stuff. If I'm still dating her, I'll go to, because I don't have anything keeping me here.

I only bring this up because there seems to be a board member or two in all the locations she chooses. It's all still in the air, of course.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Craft ID: MU Delphic
Type: Mercenary
Shields:
I may be moving to a different state next year Left_bar_bleue100/100I may be moving to a different state next year Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

I may be moving to a different state next year Empty Re: I may be moving to a different state next year

Post by NOT MONGO Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:35 pm

interdesting
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Blade Runner
Shields:
I may be moving to a different state next year Left_bar_bleue100/100I may be moving to a different state next year Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

I may be moving to a different state next year Empty Re: I may be moving to a different state next year

Post by Soylent Brown Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Is she looking at any schools in WA? Because that's where we're going. Or OR, but probably WA, at least initially.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Science
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I don't remember one coming up. I think she said something about portland, but it might have been about the show Portlandia.

I'll ask, but everything depends on having a school with a good program, and her getting funding. I wouldn't mind ending up in the Oregon/Washington area.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:27 pm

i doubt id see garrett if he moved near boston. ive never even met brandy
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm

id definitely be open to meeting anyone from here though.
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Jessica went to college at Wellesley, so Boston is high on her list of choices. Her best friend already said she'd move over there too.

Brandy is worth meeting.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robo-Pussy Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Cool. All those cities are supposedly pretty awesome. I'd imagine I'll end up applying to med school in all of those areas.

Robo-Pussy
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Type: Civilian
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm really hoping I can publish my book and get a fresh start wherever we go.

I've wanted to get away from Santa Rosa for a long time too. Too many bad memories.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoogans Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Come to my state, Garrett!
Snoogans
Snoogans
Titties and Weed

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Unidentified
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:57 pm

I was actually leaning toward North Carolina because the cost of living is 1/3rd less there than here, but the minimum wage is almost the same. That shows how old I'm getting
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vezmus Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:43 pm

F minimum wage

you should be shooting for at least middle class

Vezmus
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Craft ID: The Ghost Turd
Type: Military
Shields:

https://deftones.forumotion.com/profile?mode=editprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm aiming at novelist, which would put me in the middle class, I imagine. Unless I get real lucky.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vezmus Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:06 am

About this book...I know you don't know me that well, but I love to read. I read at least one book a week. I would love for you to let me read it.

Vezmus
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm powering through a 4th draft because apparently 80,000 words is the sweet spot, and I'm a little short. I'm happy to send out drafts after that. It'll be a couple weeks.

I don't know if its good, but that isn't always a prerequisite to success.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vezmus Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Right

Vezmus
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm

I was at 60,000, which I thought was good enough, but as I write, and I'm at just under 75,000, I realize that I needed this stuff to be there.

It'll make a big difference really.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:35 pm

synopsis?
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by donk Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Well, it's a scifi/fantasy thriller. this is from my query letter:

"The Flames in the Forehead of the Morning Sky tells the stories of two individuals whose lives run parallel in a busy metropolis. E. H. Bendis, a young programmer and inventor, whose ambitions exceed his abilities, finds himself at the center of a multidimensional conspiracy when he discovers that his creation holds more secrets than even he knew. Catherine Chalmers, a crafty corporate engineer goes rogue when she thinks she's solved a puzzle left behind by an elusive man whose shadow cast a pall of darkness over the entire city. Paths cross and tensions run deep and as they desperately attempt to preserve the world they know from being destroyed."
donk
donk
Admin

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Ix Mantic
Shields:

https://deftones.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by donk Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 pm

oh no, I've given away too much!
donk
donk
Admin

Space Vessel
Craft ID: Ix Mantic
Shields:

https://deftones.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:49 pm

donk is my ghost writer.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm done now, aside from the glossary I want to add.

being sci-fi/fantasy, there are a good deal of things I invented that could use proper explanations.

it's just over 81,000 words, and I think this time it's finally a book. maybe not the best book, but it's much better to be done than good.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:04 pm

How different is it from the version I read in Jan of last year?
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 am

super different. two revisions ago.

this one will be like, 100 pages longer.

I have some minor editing, but I'd be happy to send you a new copy in a few days, if you have time to read it.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 am

yes, please!
A few days is perfect. We're going to WA. I can read it when I get back. YAY!
but.mutated@gmail.com
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:55 am

has jess decided yet? come to boston and ill buy you a beer!
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:09 am

no, she's working full time and exhausted. can't worry about it. I don't expect this to be sorted out until much later.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vezmus Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:36 am

Stephen Baxter is my favorite sci-fi, but his characters can be bland at times.

please send to vezmus@gmail.com

I can give you as much or as little feedback as you like.

Vezmus
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:52 pm

It's sent.

I'd prefer all of the feedback. I'll be irritated at first, but once I process it, I can use that information to improve.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, all those comments aside, it's still a work in progress. I'm editing again, and I plan to add 3 or 4 more short chapters for the Tim character early on, since he doesn't appear proper until chapter 65 or so.

Seriously though, no one who I give this to ever gives me feedback. If it's because it's bad, that's okay, I still need to know what to change. I just feel like at this rate, it must be so fucking bad that I should give up and kill myself now.

The only thing I can get agents to read is my query letter, and the best I've gotten from them is that it's a terrible, vague, uninteresting query letter.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:56 pm

It's taking me a while to finish reading it, but I am adding some comments into the document. I wasn't sure if you actually wanted feedback.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by NOT MONGO Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:43 am

i would also like to read it, G... send to mike.simpson1985@gmail.com
NOT MONGO
NOT MONGO
Kult Sergeant

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:35 pm

I'll send it, but let me do a few things. I'm going to write an exciting new opening to tie it all together, and maybe some more. also naming chapters.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vezmus Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Really good story Garrett. It's worth the trouble, honestly. I don't think it's particularly well written, but that is something you are are going to accept and grow from. The potential is 100% there because the creativity and story building are there. You need skill, and nobody is born with skill, only talent. I'm planning to send you a very tl;dr email about every minor detail that crosses my mind, both positive and negative.

Cliffs:

[x] Talent
[ ] Skill

Don't be disheartened.

p.s. Garrett loves taking showers.

Vezmus
Bicurous

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks.

I took a great shower this morning.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Soylent Brown Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 am

My shower gets slugs. It's pretty frightening.
Soylent Brown
Soylent Brown
Pizza Pizza

Space Vessel
Craft ID:
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:54 pm

That's less good.

I had to take cold showers for a few weeks last summer because the hot water got turned off somehow.

Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrett Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Today she said she feels more and more like Chicago is the right place to go.

My recent rewrite has taken a bit longer than I expected, but I'm trying to get it right. I want it to be done by friday though. Setting arbitrary deadlines helps me get things done.
Garrett
Garrett
What For?

Space Vessel
Shields:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum